Sunday, June 12, 2011

Sunday Sermon

Every Sunday I take notes on the sermon. I'm always finding papers with those notes in odd places. I thought if I posted them, I'd have a place to refer back to them. I don't have commentary, just snippets of the sermon and passages of interest to me.
This summer the Pastor is doing a series called "Ever Wonder?" It is based on questions the congregation submitted over the last few months.

Today's sermon is "Why did God allow sin into the world?"

Roman's 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin' and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned.

God did not allow sin into the world man did. God gave Adam and Eve a perfect world. By sinning they made it imperfect. Is it fair that we have to deal with sin? Fairness is not a Biblical value. Fairness would be destroying the world. God gave us choices instead.

"How did God respond to sin?"

Romans 5:18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment cam upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life. John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

He sent his Son, Jesus, to die on the cross.

"Why do I still struggle with sin after I became a Christian?"

We still live in an imperfect world. Romans 7:7-8--What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet. But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me a manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.

God gives us aid in the form of the Bible. God's law didn't cause disobedience, it gave disobedience a name.

2Corinthians 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowlegde of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to obedience of Christ;

Thoughts are not the sin--acting on them does. James 1:13 & 14 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God for neither tempteth he any man: vs. 14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

God does not tempt anyone. Take those thoughts captive, and call them out. If we don't, they become more powerful.

"Do I just give up?"

Romans 6: 1 & 2 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? vs. 2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

God gave us

1. Justification

Romans 5:18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment cam upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

2. Santification-Process of becoming like Christ-You can tell by the fruits of the person.

Galations 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, vs. 23 Meekness, temperance; against such there is no law.

3. Glorification--this happens in Heaven.

Romans 7: 21-25 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. vs. 22 Fo I delight in the law of God after the inward man; vs. 23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. vs. 24. O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? vs. 25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin. So I find this law at work when I want to do good, evil is right there with me. We must do everything in our power to live a life in the spirit.

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment