Sunday, September 29, 2013

Chicken Soup

Neil and I just drove 14 hours from our home in Louisiana to our home in Kansas City.  It was so exhausting, that we've mainly just hung out at home and rested this weekend.  Saturday we picked up a rotisserie chicken so we wouldn't have to cook.  It's only the two of us so of course we couldn't eat the whole chicken.  This is what we did with the leftovers.  It was perfect for a cool fall day.
Chicken Soup

1/2 rotisserie chicken, deboned an cut into chunks
1/2 onion, chopped ((I used leftover grilled onions, chunked)
4 carrots, chopped
4 stalks celery, chopped
1/8 tsp. Italian seasoning
4 cups water
1 veggie bouillon cube
1/2 tsp. sage
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 bay leaf

If your onions are uncooked, cook them first in stockpot with 2 tbsp. butter. I used grilled onions, so I skipped this step.
Since the chicken was already cooked, I tossed it in along with the rest of the ingredients and boiled to allow flavors to combine. You could toss this in the crockpot and come home to a nice dinner. We served over rice, but you could use noodles also. I always keep the rice or noodles separate because they tend to absorb all the liquid and become mush which I despise. This was really good and super easy. I should have used brown rice or dreamfield pasta for an "E" meal, but I just really used what was on hand because grocery shopping is tomorrow. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment