Tuesday, February 8, 2011

1 week emergency meal plan

I'm currently revamping my food storage. When we were sick in the month of December we noticed that while I have a lot of ingredients, I didn't have meals that could be thrown together with minimal effort. I could barely stand up for more than a few minutes. Scratch cooking was beyond me for a time. So I decided to keep a few packaged items that could be thrown together in a few minutes.

1 week menu plan

1 week menu plan

Breakfast:
1. Oatmeal with raisins, Hot cocoa
2. Pancakes, syrup, canned peaches, box juice
3. Cereal, milk,
4. Nutrigrain bars, canned pears, box juice
5. English Muffin, nut butter, honey, tea
6. Grits, butter
7. Cereal, milk

Lunch:
1. Almond Butter & Jelly, fruit cup, juice
2. Ramen soup, fruit snack,
3. Chicken noodles soup, crackers, almonds, milk
4. Vegetable soup, saltines, cashews,juice
5. Chili, crackers, fruit cup, juice
6. Beef Stew, crackers, pudding cup
7. Tomato soup, crackers, fruit cocktails,

Dinner:
1. Macaroni & cheese, green beans, peaches
2. Rice a Roni Chicken, carrots
3. Chicken salad sandwich, chips, applesauce
4. Lasagna, corn, salad, boxed drink
5. Beef Enchiladas
6. Tortilla soup,
7. Ravioli with extra cheese


Grocery List for 1 week menu:

Milk Products:

Milk-1/2 gallon/week
butter-I keep 8 lbs. in my freezer
sour cream-small container (usually have in fridge)

Canned Goods:
powdered eggs-I keep 4 #10 cans in long term food storage
powdered milk-I have a goal of 200 lbs in long term food storage
cocoa mix-I keep 6 # 10 cans (from the cannery, yum) in long term food storage
dehydrated celery—After Thanksgiving, I dehydrate around 8 pkg. celery to use throughout the year. Celery is on sale for @ .25/pkg. after thanksgiving
1 lb. can peaches-I have a goal of 24 cans
1 lb. can fruit cocktail-I have a goal of 24 cans
Rotel style tomatoes-I keep 12 cans in food storage, but I may increase as this is a high use item in my house.
Black Beans-6 cans-I generally cook large pots of beans and freeze in 1 ½ cup pkgs. For cooking purposes, but I see the benefit of having a few cans in the pantry.
Corn-I keep 48 cans in my pantry as this is a high use item. I may increase the amount after revamping my menu plan. I also keep dehydrated corn and frozen corn.
chicken noodle soup-I keep about 12 cans in food storage (it routinely goes on sale .50/can Cambells )
cream of chicken soup-I keep 6 cans in food storage (we prefer to make from scratch)
vegetable soup-Just keep 2-3 ( we prefer homemade)
beef stew-Just keep 2-3 ( we prefer homemade)
tomato soup-I keep 12-15 cans in food storage. (it routinely goes on sale .50/can Cambells)
green beans-I keep 24 cans in my food storage
carrots-I just keep 2 cans in pantry as we prefer fresh or dehydrated
Ravioli-2 large cans
chicken--20 cans
Beef cubes-20 cans
Refried beans-6 cans (we prefer homemade)

Dry goods:
regular oats-I keep 50 pounds in long term food storage
regular grits-I keep 25 pounds in long term food storage
unbleached all-purpose flour-I keep 100 pounds in long term food storage
baking powder-I keep 8 lbs. in my food storage
baking soda-I keep 4 lbs. in my food storage
brown sugar-I keep 24 lbs. in my food storage

Packaged Goods:

cereal--I have a goal of 5 boxes/person in long term food storage
nutrigrain bars--I keep 4 boxes in 3 month storage (1 box/family member)
Nut Butter-keep 4 pounds/person/year (I keep a mix of peanut, almond and hazelnut butters)
Jelly-I keep about 3 jars/person
fruit cup-I keep 4-4 pkg. in food storage.
applesauce cup-keep 2-6 cup pkg. as I prefer to keep larger jars.
coffee mate-12 containers in food storage
fruit snack-2 boxes individual pkgs.
almonds--I keep a couple of cans in my food storage
Raisins-Goal is 5-1 lb. bags
cashews--I keep a couple of cans in my food storage
ramen--I keep 4 cases in my food storage.
crackers--I keep 12 boxes in my food storage.
pudding cup-2-6 cup packages as we prefer homemade
macaroni and cheese--I keep 12 boxes in my food storage
Rice-a-Roni--6 boxes—We prefer homemade.
Chips-we usually have tortilla chips on hand as well as low fat individual pkg. of chips.

Freezer Goods:

ravioli-keep 1 in freezer
lasagna-keep 1 in freezer
mozzerella cheese-I buy 5# bags and freeze in smaller bags.
cheddar cheese-I buy 5# bags and freeze in smaller bags.
tortillas-1 pkg. homemade or store bought

Beverages:

cranberry juice
pineapple juice
crystal light
tea
coffee



Breads:

English Muffins-these are easy to make and freeze, but you can purchase ready made and freeze.


Spices:
Orange peel—I keep a couple of jars in the pantry, but you can dehydrate this also. I would only use fresh oranges from local trees because oranges is stores are sometimes dyed to appear “orangeier”

Condiments:

white vinegar--I keep 2 gallons in long term food storage
syrup--I keep both 4-regular and 4-sugar free (2 per fam member/year)
honey-My goal is 3 lbs./person/year
soy sauce-I keep 1 open and 1 in pantry.
sesame chile oil-keep 1 open and 1 in pantry.
Salt-I have 25 lbs. salt in pantry (from Sam’s) and 8 boxes salt.
pepper-large container from sam’s
garlic-large container from sam’s
chili powder—I buy a large container from sam’s
Onion Powder-I buy a large container from Sam’s.
Cumin-I buy a large container from Sam’s
mayonnaise-I keep 8 quarts in my food storage.
dill pickles relish-I keep 2 jars in my pantry.

No comments:

Post a Comment