Saturday, January 19, 2013

Weekly Goals in Review

Purpose is a word that has been on my mind the last few weeks.  I'm the kind of person that makes New Year's Resolutions and a week later they are all but forgotten.  I mean well, but am weak on the follow-through.  When I began thinking about resolutions, and listening to others' resolutions, I thought that maybe I should try something different this year.  On the Homestead Honey Hour, Bexar Prepper talked about using  the Acronym SMART--Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic,Timely--when deciding on my resolutions.  My goal was that my resolutions have purpose.  I wanted this year of my life to be a year in which I looked back and said "I did something of value with my time."  I didn't want to waste this precious year that God has given me. Using Bexar's guidelines, along with information from Money Saving Mom, I made a list of projects that I wanted to accomplish, books I wanted to read, and relationships I wanted to nurture.  The month of January is half over and while I can't brag that I've accomplished all on my lists, I am content with what I have accomplished. I realize that this is only the beginning of a long process, but I am hopeful that this year will be different.  I am living with a purpose.

I finished reading Rhonda Barfield's book.  This is my third read of her book.  It is outdated, but I have found quite a few useful ideas that I want to implement.  I also found a few book recommendations from her book that I now have on order.  My desire is to bring down my grocery bill by shopping with a plan and a purpose.

I am currently reading A Love That Multiplies--by Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar. From this book, I am finding other new resources, including  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgT8jnG8uFY .     
Jim Bob also said something that so struck me.  I wish I had been told this when my children were young.  How my parenting would have improved.  He said that he had purposed to show his children how to react in difficult situations.  He taught them through his actions and reactions to life difficulties.  How powerful is that idea?  How differently I would have parented if I had been taught this principle.

The Last Lion Winston Churchill will be an ongoing read.  I'm reading it for our book club.  He is such a complex, interesting man. 

I totally failed on my personal goals.  I have no excuses, I just didn't do them.

My homemaking goals were accomplished to a lot of success.
      1.  My sink was shiny.  My counter hot spots were still a problem. My cabinets were organized.  My  
           pantry was cleaned and organized.
      2.  I managed to process all the cannery foods. 
      3.  I unpacked at least one box per day.
      4.  We cleaned  much of the master bedroom.  It is far from perfect, but oh so much better.

Marriage/Family
      1.  I did spend time talking with my husband.  We are making a lot of positive changes in our life.  We
           talk so much.
      2.  I didn't mail the box for my grandsons, but I did manage to get all the things that I wanted to send to
           them.

Blog/Business
      1.  I only blogged 2 times last week.  An improvement yes, but room to work more.
      2.  I haven't had time to begin this book yet.

Financial Goals
      1.  I continue working on this.  I'm really excited about the changes DH and I are discussing.  I will write
           a blog post once the details are worked out.
      2.  DD and I went out once this week.  This will change because of item one.

Tomorrow, I'll post my goals for next week.  DH and I are traveling for the next two weeks, so it will be a little different, but I definitely have goals in mind for next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment