Friday, January 17, 2014

Jambalaya



 A co-worker of my husband asked that I send Jambalaya and my personal recipe in to work.  This isn't actually my own personal recipe.  It is the creation of my older sister, Jo Ann who is a phenomenal cook.  I have tweaked it some to suit my families personal taste.  She uses Manda pork sausages while I use Turkey sausage.  The reason is that my children are allergic to pork fat.  I will admit that fat taste good.  If you use Turkey Sausage, you will need to add more seasoning.  They must have liked it.  They asked for Gumbo next week.

Jambalaya
1 lb. sausage (could also be ham)
2 Tbsp. Lard (veg oil or bacon grease could be substituted)
½ lb chicken (breast or thighs)
1 onion, chopped
1 stalk celery finely chopped
1 bell pepper . diced
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
1 tsp. salt
Pepper to taste
Hot sauce
2 cups uncooked Long grain rice

1.        Traditionally you would use a couple of tablespoons lard, but any fat could be used.  Slice that sausage and cook in a single layer in an iron skillet until browned.  Remove from pan. 
2.       Season chicken (I sprinkle with salt, pepper and thyme to taste) and brown. Remove from pan and cut into bite size pieces.
3.       Reheat skillet and add onion.  Cook until translucent then add celery and bell pepper.  Cook until tender.
4.       Put meat back into the pan and stir well.  Add garlic and continue cooking.  Stir well.  It will burn if not stirred continuously.
5.       You can do several things at this point.  You can add 2 cups raw rice and toast lightly.  Then add 4 cups water and a couple of tsp. veg or chicken bouillon.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and then cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed.
6.       Sometimes if I have leftover cooked rice, I will add that to the pan instead of the raw rice, and add 2 tsp. bouillon dissolved in a half cup of water.  Heat through and serve.
7.       Salt, pepper and Tabasco are to taste.
8.       This is just a basic clean out the fridge, quick meal.
9.       The “Trinity” celery, bell pepper and onion can be purchased already chopped in the fresh veg department or in the freezer section.  You would use around 2 cups.
10.   This is Cajun Jambalaya.  Creole Jambalaya has a can of diced tomatoes added to it.

1 comment:

  1. This looks good. I have a friend who won't eat processed meats (sausage). I keep telling her to do it with chicken . I have ham and chicken leftover in the freezer. I think I'll give it a try later this week and bring some to her.

    ReplyDelete