Thursday, June 23, 2011

Mom's Best Brownies

I try to make a dessert a couple of times a week. It keeps us out of the stores when the dessert cravings hit. I save money...who can go to Walmart and just buy 1 thing? My ingredients are are simple, and purchased on sale where possible. I control what is in my food, and it helps me rotate through my food storage. Enough reasons to try? How about these are the best darn brownies ever! It's not fancy, it doesn't need to be. I don't find the need for icing, but you could of course try the chocolate icing on this blog. These are quick to make and bake during supper, or afternoon snack time.

Mom's Brownies

3/4 cup baking cocoa
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/4 cup margarine or butter
2 eggs (2 Tbsp. egg powder and 4 Tbsp. water)
2 Tbsp. water
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 cups sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup flour
1 cup chopped walnuts (any nut will do)

1. Melt the shortening and butter and whisk in the cocoa. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
2. Beat the eggs with water and a pinch of salt until they are foamy. Gradually add the sugar. Beat in the vanilla and the cooled chocolate mixture, then flour and baking powder. Stir in the walnuts.
3. Grease a 13 * 8 inch baking pan, and pour the batter into it, spreading it evenly. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out almost clean. The brownies should still be moist and slightly sticky when they come out the oven, they continue cooking as they cool and will achieve the right texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment