Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Cornbread

I don't like to cook using packaged items. I prefer scratch cooking where possible. I have fond memories of Jiffy cornbread and milk when I grew up. It was a favorite Sunday night meal. I've tried many cornbread recipes looking for a good substitute. This recipe is not at all like Jiffy, but I just love it. I'm told you can grind popping corn to make cornmeal using my wheat grinder, but I haven't tried that yet. I do like to keep a couple of bags of cornmeal in my food storage pantry. One day I will try grinding the popping corn.

Corn Bread

1 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. oil
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups plain yogurt (I generally use homemade)
2-3 Tbsp. honey (you can sub sugar, but I like honey best)

1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. Combine butter and oil in 9 inch baking pan and place in oven to melt the butter while oven is heating up.
3. Mix remaining ingredients together and pour into the hot baking dish. Return to the oven for 25 minutes

By the way, now is a good time to pick up extra baking supplies. The sales are best now and around Easter. You should purchase roughly 25 lbs/flour per person for your year's supply. Flour is on sale at Super Fresh for 1.38/5 lb. bag. I generally purchase my honey from Sam's. You should stock around 3 lbs/person in your family. You should stock around 1 lb/person of Baking Soda and Baking powder. You should purchase around 5-8 lbs of salt per person. I keep containers of Sea Salt in my pantry as well as a large sack of Mortons purchased from Sam's.

I hope this helps in your Food Storage preparations.

No comments:

Post a Comment